Sunday, October 4, 2009

Remembering Poppa...

I am on the verge of tears as I write this blog today. Today marks two years since the passing of my beloved grandfather, who we lovingly referred to as Poppa. My heart is still heavy with grief and filled with sweet memories. My grandfather, was like no other. He loved to give others a hard time and would say whatever he felt at whatever moment with no other thought. I remember the many lunches and dinners spent at his favorite restaurants: The Quickie, El, Maya, Old Times and Waffle House. I look back on the times we spent discussing his life growing up, the stories that brought many laughs and "you really did that". I remember fishing on the lake and him always messing with a tackle box, or taking apart and then putting a fishing pole back together. I even loved that my grandfather was a temperamental man, it all was part of his character. When he was sick I enrolled in nursing school. He used to say, "When you get done you can take me out of here and be my nurse." During my first semester of nursing school I got the phone call in Mobile, saying that he had passed and that was truly the hardest time in my life. I had never lost any one that close to me at that point. Saying goodbye was so difficult, I could not wrap my mind around the fact that I would never see him again. He is one of the reasons I never gave up throughout the difficulties of nursing school. I would remember how he proudly told his nurses I was going to be a nurse and take care of him one day. This year that dream care true when I received my nursing degree and was pinned. I wished he could have been there. Even more so at my wedding, the pain stung like a knife when he was not there to see me marry the love of my life, nor is he in the pictures I have with me today. I am so thankful to have had my Poppa in my life for so long. I miss his dentureless smile, and him saying "I love you too" on the phone. I even miss his complaining. I am so grateful that the Lord blessed me with a wonderful grandfather. I miss him dearly and today I remember him and celebrate his presence in my life! I will always miss him but will see him one day soon in heaven.


It is Well With My Soul

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say

It is well, It is well with my soul.
It is well with my soul

It is well, It is well with my soul.
My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part, but the whole
Has been nailed to the cross
So I bear it no more
Praise The Lord, praise The Lord, oh my soul.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll
The trump shall resound and The Lord shall descend
Even so, it is well with my soul

1 comment:

  1. aren't grandparents a blessing? thanks for sharing stories of your wonderful grandfather with us :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails